Monday, July 12, 2010

Verse 39: Build to Perfection

Back in the days I'm building robots at Beaverworx, we had a "Zero Tolerance" standard between my buddy Chris and I. Obviously a 0.0000000(inf) error is unavoidable, but the mindset is always there. In machining the parts, my error has been between 1/1000 and 4/1000 of an inch!

With construction, it's a whole new ball game. Errors of a few millimeters, even centimeters could be ineligible. However, that doesn't apply everywhere; in some key components, error is unacceptable. Fortunately, "Zero Tolerance" mindset never left me.

I've been working a lot with the local workers this week. In Robert's absence one day, I took the initiation to lead the guys putting up dry-walls. At this project, I've established good reputation and leadership. The guys would come to me for instructions, and I'd do my best to maximize efficiency and quality. Along the way, I'd show my colleagues a few techniques I picked up to do the job better.

Ok, enough bragging.

I set up a stereo system where we work that plays songs from my cell phone. With some good music (oh Katy Perry...), we've had good morale. Here and there, "Uncle Robert" and "Uncle Pete" (me) would crack a joke to lighten the mood. We all could use a good laugh!

P.S. I've decided this weekend I'm going to take a drive to Cape Agulhas, the southern-most tip of Africa. On Saturday afternoon, I plan on taking a few guys from the project to the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment