Saturday, June 19, 2010

Verse 21: Feel It, It is (Actually) Hee-ah!

"Alright alright! I feel it! It's here! Now will you shut up!?!??!"
Impossible.
Those vuvuzelas are monsters.
They make a stupid noise that is incredibly loud.
I'm getting ear plugs.

Cape Town was madness on the opening day of 2010 FIFA World Cup. Streets are filled with fans from ALLLLLLL over the world (except maybe Canada, 'cause we know hockey is SOOoO much better) dressed in their national team colours. Bafana-Bafana vs. Mexico game starts at 4:00PM to kick off the event, but the fan fest at the Grand Parade was full since 11AM in the morning. I didn't get in, so my afternoon turned into a task to watch the game...I wasn't the only one.

All over the streets you see people climbing telephone booths, trees, bus-stop covers...etc ETC! Everyone just wanted to see a piece of action of their home team competing on home soil. After a while of searching and watching the game from several locations with several different groups of people, I found the perfect place with the perfect view on top of a building that overlooks the entire area. There, I captured the moment when Bafana Bafana scored the first goal in the World Cup. A shockwave was sent simultaneously from all corners of the town. There is no peace and quiet in Cape Town.

The second game of the day features France vs. Uruguay at 8:30PM. Supporting the French team, I got into Fan Fest well before 7:00PM. The event host lined up great entertainers to keep the energy high. By the end of game, I was dead tired.

The people, the colours, the sound, the pride...
Feel it, it is hee-ah! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment