Thursday, August 23, 2012

Post 1: Windy City Warm-Up

Athletes don't compete without a warm-up. As a mid-distance runner, I find my warm-ups longer than the race itself. After all, a proper warm-up tunes the mind and the body for optimal performance.

Before my expedition South-East Asia even began, my stop-over in Chicago turned into a legitimate day-trip with hell breaking loose. But between the lost baggage and missed flight to Hong Kong were some grand times. I felt the strong wind in Windy City, it prepared me for the storm I'm about to experience in the next few weeks.

"Probability" is a funny thing. Mathematicians say it always evens itself in the long-run, but economist will tell you we're all dead in the long-run. Somehow, on August 21st, the unthinkable happened; the metro broke-down in the middle of a tunnel while on my way to O'Hare international, causing a delay. I missed Flight UA895 to Hong Kong. Unbelievable. Have I actually met the end of my journey before it began?

I did not get furious, nor was I upset. I sat at the O'Hare airport waiting area like a piece of wood and watched thousands of travelers pass by in front of me, trying to figure out a way to "even out" the probability. Newtonian physics predict classical dynamics, and the breakage of trains, the only thing unpredictable is people. So I that's where I placed my chips.

I walked over to Air Canada counter and explained my situation. The counters are quiet, as usual. The Air Canada agent put aside her Fifty Shades of Grey and listened to me attentively. She was very understanding. We began discussing various options, and even that of flying somewhere else and get a transfer to Hong Kong. But in the end, she looked at me, looking sadder than I was she told me there is "absolutely nothing" she could do. I nodded and thanked her for all her help. I thought about turn around and start hitch-hiking back to Canada, yet that's when probabilities evened itself out. The Air Canada agent checked the screen one more time. There was a cancellation.

Air Canada flew me back to Toronto, arranged pick-ups and accommodation, provided meal vouchers, and shipped me off to Hong Kong the next morning all for free.

It's going to get windy, and there'll be storms ahead. So what do we do?
Never ever EVER give up. Ever. Especially on humanity.

2 comments:

  1. There is nothing more fulfilling than a Pizza and the WSJ; the best combination of comfort food on earth. What else can you ask for? Even when you miss your plane ...

    Have a nice trip.

    Keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, that's how the equilibrium was restored... in the short run.

      Delete