Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Post 8: The Paradox of Giving Up

I thought when I open my eyes, I'd be in Chumphon. But the coldness of the train cabin and the frequent stops woke me up consistently throughout the night. Fortunately, the second-class seats were much more comfortable than the wooden seats we had earlier in the day. The over-night train was surprisingly full; walking to the train washroom, I did not find a single empty seat!

Now that's a pattern I've seen repeated in Thailand and other developing nations, a significant portion of the local population relies on public transportation to get from one place to another. To meet the high demand, the transportation authority increased the frequency of service - usually there is only a couple of hours between long-distance transportation services. And when this is not sufficient, we end up with overloaded trucks and crammed buses - they make Montreal metro during peak hours look very spacious.

But that's just it right? The solution would've been simple: increase the fare prices. Yet people chose to give up comfort and personal space so that more people could share the ride. Creating more from less? That's beautiful.

#HaveFaithInHumanity

No comments:

Post a Comment