Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Romantics of "I Don't Know"

Our world places so much emphasism on logic and reason. People are always trying to explain everything with science and mathematics. We, or at least in the mainstream society, qualify things that are either black or white as truth, while pushing the idea of "Everything must happen for a reason" to its limit.

Yet such rigidness is the product of human intellectual breakthrough old as Renaissance and recent as the Information Age.

Sure, maybe everything does happen for a reason, but how about some alternatives?

Instead of knowing what's going to happen as a logical consequence, what happens when we put future on suspense? Is it not why we watch thrillers, read books, and attend sports games? It is exactly that uncertainty that we find so discomforting yet intriguing. There's a famous quote by an anonymous that goes like this: "If you don't know where you're going, any direction you sail is a wrong direction."

I don't find that very romantic.

Without a meticulously devised plan, each day is like a whole new adventure; "I don't know" where I'll go, what I'm going to eat, who I'll meet, what's going to happen, or sometimes, where I'm going to sleep. It doesn't matter where life leads me as long as I know it is a path I chose instead of having a destination casted in a mold called society.

How about love? Is falling in love the process of certain hormones released from one's pituitary gland to initiate a series of reciprocal chemical reaction in one's brain at the sight of symmetry and proportionality of one's face and body catalyzed by simulating conversation and humour?

Or can I give a simpler 'reason': "I don't know, it just happens and it happened."

This is why I find the notion of "I don't know" kind of romantic. A world of certainty lack the romanticism of an "emotional rollercoaster". But I don't know, to me, "I don't know" is promising of mysteries and excitement. 


Painting: Caspar David Friedrich, Wanderer above the Sea of Fog
Romantic Era

1 comment: