Thursday, October 18, 2012

A Father-Son Rivalry

I recently did some counting, in the last 3 years, I've spent about 3 weeks at home with my family. Time has the sort of power to create distance between people. But ever since the beginning of summer, my father and I have gotten quite close. As I've written before, we'd go fishing almost every weekend and once in a while during the week, after we get off work. The fishing trips near and afar bonded us as father and son.

But something else came out of those good times - a rivalry. Dad and I have been competing to catch the biggest, rarest fish. The score goes back and forth, but on our last trip, which was the day before I departed for South-East Asia, I took the lead - I thought that sealed the deal, like scoring in the final period of Stanley Cup Game 7.

But apparently not.

Since then, mother has taken my place in the shot-gun seat of the car. They've been going to cottages and lakes as the Canadian summer rolls into autumn. Last weekend, I got an email with a photo attachment. With a single line, our rivalry renewed.


Nope. It doesn't end.

Next week I'll start my travels in Vietnam;
I've got some "catching" (up) to do ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment