Sunday, May 9, 2010

Fragile, handle with care...maybe not too much ;)

This thing called life can be pretty fragile.

A week ago I was moving heaven and earth to pack my life into a few boxes, but this week, I have trouble putting on a t-shirt each morning ever since I torn my shoulder ligament from a little accident.

In a few days, I'll be waking up in South Africa, a place so foreign, on a continent so far away. Being the country with highest population with HIV and Tuberculosis certainly doesn't make my doctor letting me off to my summer adventure that easily. Her pre-departure preparation for me includes 5 vaccine shot and pages and pages of "Do's and Don'ts".

At an age when I feel invincible, I am never used to calculate the risks I'm taking. But something about this trip worries me a little bit. When I was making my summer plans, I made it in a way that I will volunteer during the weekdays with weekends off on to wander the alleys of Cape Town and surrounding areas (obviously sounds like a plan I'd make) Something about these 'weekends' concern me; I don't know whether it's the deadly diseases, or the high crime-rate, or the fact that I don't know anyone there or all of these combined. 10 weeks will go by quickly, or too quickly, or not quickly enough, and then I will be on a flight that flies from UAE to New York, and then from New York to Toronto. All these little things are discouraging from going on this journey. But look on the bright side, the recent terrorist attack involving airplane failed miserably ;)

I think I'm starting to sound paranoid, maybe I am.
But I bet it's this shoulder injury! It's making me feel vulnerable because I can't physically defend myself!

Pie, oh Pie, what is the life of Pie without the risks and adventures?!
As soon as my shoulder heals, I'll be back doing the wild things ;)
's gonna be awesome, mark my words ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment