Thursday, October 8, 2009

My XC Singlets: From a Crusader to a Redmen

There's always an indescribable thrill when I slip on my race singlet.

In my Freshman year of high school, I paid $20 bucks and received my blue Crusader singlet. Back in the days when I barely know much about the sport of Cross Country, I was told to wear IT in my race instead of my beloved cotton T-Shirt, because, supposedly, this piece of clothing would make me run faster; Hmm..surely the design of it made every logical sense to improve the runner's speed. The feather-weight material complimented by strategically tailored cuts together provide a natural cooling system and allow the runner to glide through the air.

It wasn't until my Sophomore year that my blue Crusader singlet meant more than a piece of racing gear to me. My new-found meaning extended beyond its physical value. It was part of a part that makes a 'whole'. As individualistic a sport Cross Country is, I see that I am not sailing alone; I got teammates.

I guess maturity does come with age. In Junior and Senior years, the significance of my blue Crusader singlet was taken to another level. A reputation has risen. The blue singlet was known to be the "blue wave". It was a topic of coaches all over the province when the singlet made its appearance on the Provincial Podium, the top one might I add. Before the gunfire to start every race, with our feet behind the line, we put the reputation on the line.

So the XC life followed me to college, minus the responsibilities and pressure of being team captain. Everything else seem to be the same ol' boat except the new trails, new teammates, and a singlet with a new name at the front: "McGill" - a new legacy.

Redmen.

No comments:

Post a Comment